Thursday, March 12, 2009

Wednesday Night Adventures

I had two good runs yesterday of 4 miles each.  Nothing too exciting there, except to note that I am starting to feel better with the two-a-days.  I guess I should increase my mileage a little bit in the next week or so.  Maybe I will keep the 4 milers for another week and then jump to 5 milers the next week.  I don't want to jump too quickly, because every time I do I end up injured.  I got my 4 miles in this morning too.  I felt really good except my ankle was acting up a little bit.  I have sprained and/or broke my ankles too many times, so it is just a fact of life now that I have to deal with.
I had band practice last night.  Greg is going to miss our upcoming gig on the 21st, so we are rehearsing with Dave, who will be filling in for him.  He is the same Dave who I replaced as Singer/Lead Guitarist.  It went well, but he wasn't quite as prepared as he should have been.  We spent a lot of time waiting around on him to figure stuff out.
Now I'll get to the most exciting part of my evening: the drive home.  Does anybody think it would be wise of me to hook up my Mazdaspeed 3 to a loaded trailer and try to out pull a full size Dodge pickup truck?  That would be foolish.  It would almost be as foolish as being a full size Dodge pickup truck and trying to race a Mazdaspeed 3 on the freeway.  So here's how it went down: I was minding my own business cruising at about 65 -70 in the fast lane.  I notice this Dodge truck getting close to me in my rearview, so I pull over to the middle lane to let them pass.  Then they slammed on the gas and went past me, I picked up the pace just a little bit to stay right on their tail.  Apparently they didn't like a little car staying right with them when they are thinking they own the road (at this point we were doing maybe 80, I was still only in 4th gear), so they made an obvious move to show me who was boss, at this point I had seen enough of them and shifted into 5th.  I have no idea why they would be so stupid as to think they could beat me.  After about 5 seconds, I could barely see their headlights in my rearview mirror.  I did not want to waste this opportunity, so I decided to shift into 6th gear for the first time ever!!   Needless to say the experience was very exhilarating.  I think I will forego mentioning the highest speed I reached (for Mom's sake),  but I will mention that I didn't stay in 6th gear for more than about 5 seconds.   The funny part of the story is that about 3 minutes later, I noticed someone coming up very fast.  It was the Dodge truck, and they wanted to show me yet again who was boss as they went in front of me just in time to exit the freeway.  I guess they showed me!!

4 comments:

  1. Good grief! Who even knew you had a 6th gear on that car? I didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. boy mike! i sure wish you wouldn't race people. you know your car is the fastest, but i know it is the competitiveness in you! glad you are keeping up with the running!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, my car is fast, but it isn't the fastest, I'm just not gonna let some cigarette smoking maggot who thinks he has a fast truck think he is cool. That's all. Just like on Running Brave he found out that he was "just sloooow."

    ReplyDelete