Saturday, March 7, 2009

Saturday Morning

Derrinda got up this morning and ran 3 miles.  When she got back I drove over to the trailhead and started plodding along.  I ran 6 miles.  I didn't take my watch because I wasn't planning on running a decent pace, but now I wish I would've taken it because at the 3 mile turnaround, I had just turned and noticed something out of the corner of my eye, I glanced to the cut and saw 3 runners coming up behind me.  I am my father's son, so I was determined to pull away from them while making it look like I wasn't even trying.  So that's what I did.  I wasn't planning on pushing the pace, but I did coming back because I wasn't about to let some marathoners from a running group pass me.  I assume that's what they were because if they were 5K or 10K runners who were in shape, they would've been able to pass me.  I'm 15 lbs. overweight and only been running consistently again for 2 weeks.  Oh well, it was fun.  It reminded me of running with Dad back in High School and getting into races in the Smith Fieldhouse with 2 lap Joes and 1 lap Johnnies.  It was pretty windy this morning, but not too bad except for a few gusts.  

In other news, I am down in the office now at BSS and someone is coming in for a 10 x 15.  O.K. I just rented it.  Good times.  I hope my clutch cable for my dirt bike gets here today.

4 comments:

  1. That's funny. Yes, Dad wouldn't even let bikers pass him--he always pushed the pace. Flashing me back to when I was 13 and ran my first 10K with Dad pacing me. Ha-Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite part of this post was mentioning that you rented a unit. That made me bust a gut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job Mike in defending your turf. My favorite part of this post, was not the renting of a unit, but all of the memories that you brought back to me about our running days together. That goes for Lisa's comment as well. When you grow older, and you no longer have the knees to pound the miles out, you have to live off the memories that you created in your younger years. Thanks for keeping my memory alive. Now, sharpen those spikes, and keep up the good work, along with that competitive attitude. I just hope that you can continue to stay injury free through the season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good post mike. i know you are just like dad when it comes to running. so competititve. but yay for you and your training. keep it up and good job renting a unit today!

    ReplyDelete