Monday, March 2, 2009

Jesse James and the Coward Bob Ford

I was thinking about Jesse James getting shot in the back of the head by Bob Ford on my run this morning.  A true coward in every sense of the word was young Bob Ford.  It got me to thinking about how different our times are now and what constitutes a coward today.  In the middle of my thoughts I was interrupted by a song that came on my iPod while jogging along.  The song was "Father of Mine" by Everclear.  It is an autobiographical song by Art Alexakis and how his father left him at a young and impressionable age.  That song is very powerful in showing the long lasting hurt and pain caused by a father leaving a child.  The song was released on the album "So Much for the Afterglow" in 1998 I believe.  Art was almost 40 years old at this time and those feelings were still very strong as I'm sure they still are.  In my opinion there is nothing more cowardice than being a father and leaving your child(ren) and not being a part of their lives.  I know there are many valid reasons for divorce, but there is no excuse for not being a part of your kids life (or lives).  I do not claim to be an expert in this area, because I have an awesome father who has always been there for me.  I am just offering my opinion.   Oh, and I ran 4 miles in 28 minutes this morning.

3 comments:

  1. Holy Smoly Mike, who lit the fire under your feet. That is quite an increase in your pace from last week. Thank you for making the nice remark about me. You are a VERY nice father to your children as well, and that is what is important. Not too many dads could have done what you did this past weekend with your children. My hat goes off to you for that. As for that SUPER coward Bob Ford, He lived out his days looking over his shoulder, and when the final day came from a shotgun blast, I think a lot of people were glad that he was killed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually remember that song from years ago. You are right, fathers who abandon their children are cowards. Along the same lines, I think people who don't stick up for what they know is right are cowards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that any parent--father or mother--who abandons their children are selfish and cowards. I personally can't comprehend it. But they will be held accountable, and that is one area you really don't want to mess up on. Parents are entrusted to care for the children sent by God and to neglect that responsibility is not going to be good come judgement day.

    ReplyDelete