Wednesday, February 4, 2009

You've got to start somewhere

I have learned a lot of things from running.  I also picked up a lot of tidbits of wisdom from my Dad along the way.  One of the things he would say, especially during the beginning of a training cycle, is "You've got to start somewhere."  Well, that kept running through my mind this morning as I slogged along at about an 8 minute mile pace for 4 miles.  I hate running that slow, and I don't get much enjoyment out of it, but in order to get in the kind of shape to where running begins to be fun, you have to get through the first stage of training.  For some reason, 4 miles has always been my starting point for my runs when beginning again after an injury or illness.  It is right around 30 minutes, which is just enough to get tired, but not enough to exhaust you.  

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, that starting out is always tough. My starting point used to be 3 miles. I could always run 3 miles no matter how horribly out of shape I was, but now...it's probably more like 200 meters. I know it will be fun for you to run again even if it is at a slower pace than you would like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hear you mike, i am so out of shape right now, it 's not even funny. i hope you can help motivate me to run while we are up there! i know you will. what was his time? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mike, Glad to hear that you are hitting the road again. Sounds like you are doing fine to me. Next to not having my family around me, that is the one thing I miss the most in my life , is not being able to run. I'm so glad to see that you have started a blog. I will look forward to reading your updates.

    ReplyDelete