Monday, June 1, 2009

Childhood Memories

Something about today reminded me of being a kid.  It must be the nice weather.  I was out fixing some of the sprinklers here at BSS and something triggered an old memory I have of being the new kid at Westmore elementary in Orem, Utah.  I think I was out by myself at recess and I was sitting on the lawn and I remember seeing a guy working on the sprinklers by the soccer field.  Anyway, I started thinking about that time of my life and I remember not having any friends and feeling very alone.  All my older sisters were in Jr. High or High School and I was the only one in the family at Westmore.  Anyway, I met a kid named Jason Covington some time after being a new student there.  It might have even been a few months.  I pretty much never heard much rock music before, but I remember seeing kids at school with band names like Metallica, Guns n' Roses, Skid Row, and Def Leppard scrawled all over their levi jackets.  Jason and I soon became good friends and Jason introduced me to Def Leppard.  I was immediately mesmerized by the sound.  This is where my love of electric guitar was formed.  Here is a clip of Def Leppard that takes me back in time and reminds me of my childhood.  It is one of my favorite Def Leppard songs.

P.S.  - I wish I could find some awesome running shorts like Rick Allen is wearing in this video (drummer)!!

2 comments:

  1. That's the same year I was at Lakeridge...also eating lunch by myself. I'm glad Jason and you became such good friends. I was laughing though to think that Jason is the person who introduced you to Def Leopard.
    I had a flashback to my mission the other week when I was visiting teaching...the smell reminded me of Ahwatukee (Phoenix) so much. It was a good smell and awesome memories. And I am always catching smells of High Valley up here in the mornings. Must be the fires and stoves burning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can tell I don't listen to that kind of music, because I apparently spelled Def Leppard wrong. I spelled it like a Leopard and not Leppard.

    ReplyDelete