Friday, May 1, 2009

Dead batteries and legs!

This morning started out good.  I got up and dressed for the motorcycle ride out to Graham, let the dogs out for a minute, started up the bike, and off I drove.  Everything was going smoothly, but I noticed that my turn signals were not working when I turned right on Orville Rd.  Things were going fine until I turned right onto 224th and noticed my engine was starting to misfire a bit.  It gradually became bad enough that I thought the engine would die at any second.  I made it up the steepest part of the hill and then it sputtered and died on me.  It wouldn't restart.  It didn't even try to turn over.  So I put my helmet in the trunk and started the 2 miles that were left to Mom and Dad's house.  I ran most of the way, but walked a little bit because my motorcycle boots were really digging into my skin around my ankles.  It seemed like it took forever, but it must have only been about 20 minutes or so.  Dad was in the pool house and he came out and asked what happened.  I said "I got stranded".  To which Dad replied "something happened to Brandon?".  I said "No, I got stranded."  So that was a little funny.  At that point we pulled the pool cover over the pool and Dad got changed.  We moved the trailer around and hooked it up to Dad's truck.  I was parked on a hill, so Dad parked the trailer in the road down the hill from the bike and I got on it while Dad gave it a push and I drove it up the ramp into the trailer.  I don't know how close I was to falling off the ramp, but it must only be 1 foot wide and it was a bit scary getting into the trailer.  When I was in the trailer, I hit the brakes and slid enough to scare me into thinking I might tip it over, but I didn't.  All was well and we decided the best way to get it to the house was for Dad to pull the trailer with me straddling and balancing the bike while holding the front brake lever.  It worked really well and we decided it was a dead battery.  We charged up the battery while I swam in the pool for 3/4 of a mile.  After that, we took it off the charger and it started up.  Getting it out of the trailer was the next task.  This bike is not light.  It weighs almost 700 lbs.  Dad pulled the trailer off the road and down a grade so the trailer ramp would be level (somewhat) with the ground.  I straddled the bike while Dad pushed it out of the trailer and off the ramp onto the ground.  We were eventually successful and I drove it home.  It ran great the entire way interestingly enough.  I was expecting it to die on me at any moment.  Dad was a life saver.  Thanks Dad!  And thanks Derrinda for opening up the office and getting Dallas off to school all by yourself!  And thank you Honda Pacific Coast for the spontaneous extra 2 mile run this morning!

3 comments:

  1. Yes Mike, that indeed was an interesting morning. Glad to be of some help. It is nice to be needed once in a while. (Grin) Hope the new battery solves the problem. Still could be the charging system, but let's hope it is not. I'll see you tomorrow morning for your long run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! Except for the part where you broke down and the spontaneous run in the wrong type of foot wear. Ugh! Well, I bet Derrinda was just happy that you made it back home in one piece. Jason's contemplating on getting a bike. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad you made it safely back home. that was quite the ordeal huh?

    ReplyDelete