Monday, December 14, 2009

Vanilla Ice Ice Baby...

Crazy ice trail prevented Juliet and I from getting our run in this morning. I met her at Stortini's at 7. The parking lot was so iced over that we had to skate down to the trail to see if it was icy too; Indeed it was so we decided it best to scrap the run. The Mazda did quite well on the ice. It is only front wheel drive, but I never even noticed that the roads were slick. The Nova (rear wheel drive) would have been a different story. I once got the Nova stuck at the end of the driveway at 192 in Orem and couldn't move it so had to have help pushing it back into the driveway and figuring another way to travel. At least the weather has warmed up considerably since last week. It was 36 degrees this morning, so I was surprised there was icy road conditions since it was 4 degrees above freezing. Oh well, go figure. It appears to be melting in the parking lot here at BSS now as I look out the window.
Since Derrinda has been called to be the Relief Society President, I now teach my CTR 8 class alone. We also just had a new Primary presidency called, and one of the counselors came and talked to me during sharing time and said I needed to have another adult male in my class, so they got a guy who just got back from his mission to sit in class while I taught. Kind of lame, but I understand why they have to do that I guess. Anyway, I've only got my class for 2 more weeks, and then I have a sneaking hunch that they will put me in as the Valiant 11 boys teacher. I think I'm the only male in Primary.
The gig went good Saturday. We performed well anyway, the audience left a lot to be desired. Nobody was really dancing. I don't think there were ever more than 10 people on the dance floor the entire evening. Microsoft geeks. They hire us and pay us $5000 to play to an empty room. I guess when you've got money to burn, it doesn't matter too much. The highlight of the evening for me was when we had only time for one song and somebody yelled out "R.E.M.!", so we busted into "It's the end of the world as we know it", and we haven't performed that song in probably over a year. Thankfully I didn't have a problem with the words (there are a LOT of them), because Cov-Cov and I have been performing that song forever.
Back to the grind here at BSS now. Thankfully I think we have all our Christmas shopping done. I have a couple of things I still want to pick up, but the majority of it is done. I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season!!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, it was a bummer we couldn't run yesterday. I am glad it isn't icy today. great job on the gig alright? I love REM songs.got your cute christmas card yesterday. Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's too bad you couldn't get your run in. It is very crazy how slick the roads here can get when they don't even look bad.
    I remember you and Jason singing that REM song all the time. I was always amazed that you knew all the words because there are so many and it is sung so quickly. I have no idea what they say in that song, except for the chorus.
    We just watched some of your old gigs last night when we were at Mom and Dad's. "Who rocks the streets?" =)

    ReplyDelete