Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Nova Update

My Nova hasn't run right for years.  I have taken it to several mechanics over the years who failed to fix the problem.  About 8 months ago or so I took it to a guy here who thought it was the exhaust manifold gasket (leaking a lot).  So he had the manifold machined nice and level, put the new gasket on, and told me I was good to go.  It did run better, however it still felt pretty rough to me.  Anyway, today it dawned on me that maybe the mechanic (pre- new manifold gasket) had my carburetor all out of whack to make up for the manifold leak.  So I went out and messed with the fuel mixture screw and idle screw and lo and behold, the Nova magically runs like a top again without hesitating off the line and dying at stops.  Time will tell about the dieseling (running after the key is shut off), but when I shut it off, no issues.  I'll cross my fingers and hope the Nova is back in business the next time I fire it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment