Thursday, March 18, 2010

Current Fitness Level

My fitness level seems to be coming along good at this point. I've been running twice a day for the last several weeks and am starting to see some results. I had to go on my afternoon run early today because Derrinda had to go do some serious canning. Dry canning at that. So I ran at about 2:30 this afternoon. I decided to run the 4 miles at a brisk pace, and my goal for the run was to average 6:30 per mile. The weather was beautiful and I started out at a decent clip. I hit the first mile in 6:20 and was surprised how easy it felt, so I decided to take it up a notch to the turnaround. My breathing felt relaxed despite the quicker pace and I hit the turnaround at 12:21. A 6:01 second mile. I was happy with that. On the way back I noticed that just like yesterday, there was a pretty stiff headwind going back. I figured the wind was slowing me down, so I just tried to relax and maintain my pace. 18:26 at 3 miles; this was even more encouraging to me hitting a 6:05 into the wind. I was however beginning to feel a bit tired, so I just tried to maintain that pace. I picked it up a little over the last 3/4 mile and finished in 24:19. A 5:53 last mile! I am very happy with this run because I am just under 180 lbs., and have another 10-15 lbs. to lose. Very encouraging.

3 comments:

  1. Man, that's awesome!
    Way to go Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good grief Mike, that is really good! Just like days of old, huh? That is very difficult to keep a pace like that all by yourself. I'm real proud of you for keeping up with the running. Carry my torch Son, carry my torch!
    It isn't much fun being a has been. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad I didn't go with you! I would have been left in the dust! Way to go Mike!

    ReplyDelete