Thursday, February 18, 2010

EHL Trouble

I've been battling Extensor tendonitis (top of big toe) the last couple of days. I just bought some new running shoes. I scored a great deal on some Nike Air Pegasus. I paid about $40 for them. Well, I blame them for this toe issue, because I refuse to believe it's a coincidence that as soon as I switch shoes that's when I get hurt. So far I've been able to run through it and haven't missed as much as a mile, but it's been crazy. Juliet laughs at me because I go out of my way to run on gravel, dirt or grass, oftentimes zig-zagging all over the place to find the soft stuff. The softer terrain really helps alleviate the pain. If I had to run on pavement, I don't think I could handle it. Well, I've been popping ibuprofen and icing it like crazy, which also has been helping. I have another 4 miles to do tonight, then I am hoping on going on a longer run tomorrow (8-10 miles) morning because I have a tennis match lined up for Saturday morning with Greg again. I beat him 6-2 last time. Maybe we will have enough time to play 2 sets this week. Then hopefully my toe will be all healed up for next Monday in time to start running again.

2 comments:

  1. Are you taking the shoes back? Or are you still running on them?
    I hope it gets better. It's funny because I can't even run anymore and I still move off the pavement into the dirt or grass if it is flat and walkable when I go on the trail. Old habits of running never die.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's possible you have first metatarsophalangeal joint sprain. A.k.a. turf toe. That is often caused from new shoes which are too flexible in the toe. Although I suppose you could have extensor hallusis longus tendinitis. But with the new shoes causing it, I suspect the former.

    ReplyDelete